Have you ever been at a loss for what to say when someone you know is having a hard time? Show you care by speaking from your heart. Try one of these statements:
- If you don’t want to talk about it, I’m still going to be here for you
- I care about you
- Take all the time you need. I’m here for you
- I’m available to go with you if you need support (to doctor appointments, to buy groceries, etc.)
- I’m bringing dinner over (or any other act of kindness that will alleviate pressure)
- I wish I could take the hurt away. But since I can’t, I’ll just hang out here with you.
- I’m sorry. I’m here to listen
Show up, be available, talk about the tough stuff.
The truth is, at any time in our lives, any one of us may struggle emotionally. What would you need if it were you? Thinking about what you might need to hear can help you if you aren’t sure what to say.
Remember, not everyone who is struggling will show that they are struggling. As a general rule, treat people with kindness and seek first to understand before making judgments.
Any ideas to add to the list? Please share your suggestions in the comments – helping each other will ripple out to help the people we encounter.