All too often we get caught up in trying to be someone or something we’re not. That is why when I was watching the new Avengers movie recently, this quote really jumped out at me:
“Everyone fails at becoming who they’re suppose to be Thor. A measure of a person is how well they succeed at becoming who they are”.
There are many reasons different reasons why each of us might become caught up in someone else’s expectation of us. But take a few moments to think about your expectations for yourself. Yes- you are going to have to quiet that inner critic for this exercise!
Take some time to ponder the following questions, as a way to truly get to know you and the driving forces in your life that originate from your own heart:
- What causes you to connect with joy?
- What are 3 values you live your life by, and where do you think these originated from in your life?
- What are the general themes that tend to cause your inner critic to scream out?
- What (or who) enables you to connect with love?
- Who and what are you most grateful for in your daily life?
- If you could plan the perfect day, what would it look like?
- If you could plan the perfect day to spend with just yourself, what would it look like?
- Are there some areas of your life that fear is stopping you from moving forward? What are they, and what would need to change for that fear to be a little less?
- What are 3 short-term goals you currently have in your life? What is the driving force behind these goals?
- What are 3 long-term goals you currently have in your life? What is the driving force behind them? If it isn’t you, who is it and why?
Living in the shadow of who you think you’re supposed to be can be a big source of stress. I hope you take the time to explore and discover and accept the wonderful person that is you. Remember, we are all works in progress, so go slow, and go with intent.